Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) by Noelle Henderson



I can't say I have exactly figured out Beasts of the Southern Wild, if there is anything to actually figure out.  I enjoyed the movie overall, but didn't quite understand the giant boar like creature storyline.  I actually think the movie could have done without the beast idea, which I guess would defeat the purpose of the title.  However I very much enjoyed the storyline involving Hushpuppy at The Bathtub.

I thought there were a lot of beautiful shots, although I didn't enjoy the handheld parts following her running around.  Personally, I would have shot that differently and not had it be so jerky.  I was in the front of the theater up close, so perhaps I would feel differently about it if I was farther away and didn't feel quite as dizzy.

I think there is definitely something metaphorical going on with the beasts.  There were shots going from the four beasts running to the four girls running, so I got the impression that the girls were being related to the beasts.  I think I will have to see it again to get a better understanding of the beast plot.  I did really like seeing Hushpuppy's character evolve throughout the film, and become a leader like her dad was.  I didn't enjoy the way her dad treated her and how aggressive he was towards her, but I don't think she would have evolved into the strong character she did if he wasn't that way toward her.

Overall I enjoyed seeing it, I liked that it was a unique idea and I couldn't predict where the story was going.  And I thought the girl who played Hushpuppy was amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment